Let’s work together to make 2021 a good one.
I enjoy turning the page to a new year because it seems to give us all permission to challenge assumptions, try something new, or think about things in a new way. I am going to challenge my assumption that our readers know these key facts about United Way of Southwest Colorado. I will share a handful here that you may or may not have known!
- Each United Way is a LOCAL, INDEPENDENT nonprofit. It is true that we have a huge network of 1,200 United Ways across the world, but we each exist to help our own communities.
- United Way of Southwest Colorado is rated PLATINUM by Guidestar (the highest level), a charity watchdog, as a result of our effectiveness, transparency, and accountability in our work.
- Our United Way is the fiscal agent for two emergency assistance coalitions (CEAC – Community Emergency Assistance Coalition for La Plata and San Juan Counties, and POC – Pagosa Outreach Connection for Archuleta County). These have been particularly busy this year helping people to pay bills!
- Our United Way provides annual grants to help 29 local nonprofits to help people build better lives – our donors make this possible!
- Our United Way also manages Team UP, a collective effort to improve outcomes for kids and families – we have secured significant grant funding and created a special AmeriCorps program to support these efforts.
We do even more (2-1-1, assist local governments with nonprofit funding, tax credits, and more), but I will save those for another day!
President & CEO
United Way of Southwest Colorado